Sunday, August 21, 2011

glory in this

This is a passage that has had a ton of impact on me this week.
Bible

Jeremiah 9:23-24

Thus says the LORD: 
“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
 Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
 Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness,
judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight,” says the LORD.


I’m going to be a high school senior and college freshman this year. This is the time when I’m supposed to be figuring out where my life should go. This is the time when the first question on everyone’s tongue is “What are you going to do after you graduate?”

I used to think I knew. Back when I was a high school freshman, I thought I had it all figured out. But ironically, now that it’s time to know, I don’t.

I could go to college to attain and glory in knowledge, power, or wealth. (Although, with tuition prices soaring, the latter is pretty unlikely.) There isn't anything wrong with those things themselves, but as a life purpose and direction--the profound emptiness of it is horrifying!

What I want to do after I graduate is simple. I want to attain a knowledge and understanding of my Lord, and glory in Him. When, where, and how I will learn this is a much more complex question, but one thing I’ve already learned about my God is this: He knows, and He’ll lead.



3 comments:

  1. I always leaned on Jeremiah 29:11 - if I just trust in God, I know his plans for me will always be much greater than any plans I'd have for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really powerful scripture. I plan to study Jeremiah this fall. Blessings on knowing God more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful scripture. I think that it's all too easy to place our trust in knowledge, wealth, and other things of this world, when really all of our trust should be in God alone. It is so reassuring to know that, even when it becomes hard to see what lies ahead, God is in control and He will guide our every step. Thank you for this wonderful reminder!!

    You have a lovely blog, and I've greatly enjoyed looking around!

    In Christ,
    Rebekah

    beautifulgemsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...