Saturday, April 17, 2010

poetry

"He's of the colour of the nutmeg.  And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts."  ~William Shakespeare, Henry V


Horses are my favorite animals. How I came to choose a passion for photography to go alongside my affinity for cats and horses (two of the most difficult-to-photograph animals) I have no idea. . . .

After my ill-fated attempts at getting swamp bird pictures yesterday, I stopped to visit my horse, Drem (short for Dreamer). She winters with the neighbors' horse, Splash, across the road and I walk up to work with her daily. Since I had my camera with me I decided to take some pictures--hoping they'd turn out more successfully than the rest of my afternoon attempts. I think they did.


It's said that a horse is poetry in motion. With a still camera, it's hard to capture the motion, but I can always capture the poetry.

 
This is Drem--11 year old Quarter Horse mare, 14.3 hands tall. I love her to death! Below, Drem is grazing with Splash, her stablemate.







 This is Kate, a 4-year-old draft mare who lives several miles north of us. I've only ridden her once and found out that despite her appearance of gentleness, she has dynamite in her hooves!



 Drem's buddy Splash is my sister Hannah's favorite riding horse. She's a registered Paint and 14 years old.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I love horses and cats as well, though i get more opportunity to photograph cats than horses because I own one.

    Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous horses! Your very blessed to have them! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...