Sunday, June 27, 2010

time enough

"The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough."
~Rabindranath Tagore

 
There's a certain hollow below my house where the driveway crosses through the marsh. In the winter, it's often flooded and very icy; in the summer, there's just a hint of damp right there at the very edge. Something about that damp spot attracts butterflies, and that's where I found this injured tiger swallowtail.


 He liked my shoe. . . .

 
And my sister's fingers. :)

After my photo-shoot, we released him into the rosebushes. I hope he recovers from whatever injury he's suffered!









I was also up at 3:15 in the morning yesterday to shoot the partial lunar eclipse. It was amazing to watch the shadow slowly cross the face of the moon!  I only wish my camera was quick enough to get really nice low-light pictures--I would love to be able to show you the moon setting beside Mt. Hood while the sun rose on the opposite horizon.




































"Moonlight is sculpture."
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo's! The moon pictures are stunning! I recently had a little "photo shoot" of a poor cicada who seemed to be hurt. (As you did with your butterfly, I released him afterwards.) :)
    God Bless,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures Hallie! Especially of the moon. I wanted to get up and see it but figured it was pointless since it's cloudy here. Thanks for giving me a chance to see it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...