Thursday, June 24, 2010

first cutting

We have between 30 and 40 acres of hay on the ground right now, most of it waiting to be baled. I can't believe it's first cutting already--even though it's later than usual. Is it just me, or is time going abnormally fast?!

I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been so busy with so many different activities. If anyone has been wondering why my blog posting hasn't been quite as regular lately, I apologize! I'm still taking a ton of pictures, just not finding the time to get them posted. :)

With all the rain we got this spring, the hay is extremely thick. Our triticale field is nearly six feet tall! It's so dense that one or two old belts on our swather broke when Dad first tried to cut it.

Above: that's approximately eye level in the triticale field. :)


We've got lambs to train for competition in August, too:
The most infuriating part of lamb training is that the tamest lambs are invariably the most stubborn lambs. Thaddeus, one of my twins, is sweet and tame, but when I put his halter on, he plants his feet and forces me to drag him. . . .



























Just a few more scenes from our first month of summer:
 
Above: the only kind of traffic jam you'll find around here--a herd of cows heading north to the mountains for the summer. :)

In case I haven't made it clear yet . . . I love summer.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...