Tuesday, July 26, 2011

i’m back

 

And to be 100% honest, I wish I wasn’t. I love home, but a mere five days at my other favorite place simply isn’t long enough.


Lake30
Lake

The Lake is paradise.

Lake3

Here, I can let normal life melt away for one seventy-third of the year (0.01369863 is the exact decimal). I don’t have to think about training my horse, getting my lambs up to show level, running three miles a day, moving irrigation sets, or memorizing lines from Twelfth Night. Escaping the grind is wonderful. The Lake is ingrained in the childhoods of myself, my siblings, and my cousins, and I can’t remember a time when this trip wasn’t the highlight of my summer.

Lake8

We battle to make the biggest splashes. We drink multiple cans of pop every day just for the heck of it. We investigate creepy submerged logs and the three islands. We go canoeing just for the thrill of taking on motorboat waves broadside.

Lake9

Best of all, so many relatives are together at once! We eat, we laugh, we play, we sleep, we talk, and we marvel that we all survived growing up in such a weird (wonderful!) family.

Lake10Lake11


Lake13Lake15Lake23Lake24Lake26Lake27

It’s awesome with the kind of awesomeness that you can see, feel, taste, and breathe.

Lake16Lake17Lake20Lake21Lake22

We maintain a ton of quirky traditions, but it’s never exactly the same from year to year. Sometimes old traditions are broken (like the conspicuous absence of my cousin Aaron) or new ones are born (like eating red licorice by the pound). A few new things made it to the highlights of this year’s trip:

  • actually touching the icky crossed logs submerged south of our dock (formerly one of my greatest fears!)
  • winning Dominoes :)
  • getting rained on for the first time in three years of sleeping under the stars (this was really cool!)
  • listening to the three professors (I mean, Dad, Stephen, and Sam) talk Civil War by the fire
  • perfecting (or trying to perfect) my diving skills
  • taking motorboat waves broadside in the canoe with Ben and Hannah
  • playing an insane game of Catan with my brothers.

Lake12Lake14Lake28Lake29

If you’re lucky enough to be at the Lake, you’re lucky enough.

Lake6

It’s kinda hard to realize that I won’t go back for another year, but it always surprises me how fast that year passes. Then we’ll be back for more swimming, splashing, eating, laughing, and picture taking.

Lake32

I can’t wait!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...