Sunday, March 6, 2011

several lives

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book."  ~Author Unknown

"A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end.  You live several lives while reading it."  ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Don’t you love books? I love books.

The way they look… the way they smell… and, of course, the stories. Stories of Anne Shirley snubbing Gilbert Blythe, Jo March “falling into a vortex,” and Elsie Dinsmore awaiting her father’s return from Europe. Or, lately—thanks to my all-consuming British Literature class—Hamlet seeking to avenge his father’s death.

Books8Books7
Hamlet is partially to blame for this post, in fact. I’m memorizing his famous “to be or not to be” and with that and a very long extracurricular to-do list, I haven’t really been out and about taking pictures. So I set some pictures up for myself. Not something I do too often, but it can be fun. :)

BooksBooks1Books3Books6Books9Books12Books11Books10Books13Books14Books15Books16
I thought this stack of old, thick hardbacks was cool looking. The one on top (and later, the open one) is a Bible… another one of my favorite books! :)

Books22Books20Books21Books23Books24Books26Books27Books28Books30Books29
Ah, books. What are your favorites? I’d love to know. :)

4 comments:

  1. oooh Hallie I LOVE this post! So lovely to know that you share my adoration of beautiful books...the smell, feel, and sight of them, and getting lost in them for hours. And I love the sonnet you photographed..."without a doubt mine is one hundred and sixteen!"
    Favorite books: Lord of the Rings, the Anne books and the Emily books, Beauty, P&P, The Screwtape Letters, The Mark of the Lion series, The Three Musketeers, Swiss Family Robinson...and I could go on and on.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post! I agree, books are great! :) I don't think I could pick a favorite photo, I loved them all. Excellent job!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!!!!! The pictures are SO awesome!!!!! I LOVE books! I don't have a favorite book though =( I like so many!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Hallie!
    You take so beautiful pictures I'm a new follower of your blog :)

    Marieanne
    un-monde-magiique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...